Breaking News
The Voice of Salina Central

CHS Pylon

The Voice of Salina Central

CHS Pylon

The Voice of Salina Central

CHS Pylon

Students Who Work

After a long day of school and piles of homework, the last thing students want to do is clock in at work.
But what if they could do both at the same time?
Different programs such as OJT (on-the-job training) and flex schedules are available, and they can help alleviate the stress of working during their senior year.
“I enrolled in OJT so I could get paid and do what I love,” senior Kyler Brecheisen said, “but also get a class credit for it.”
During his OJT class period, Brecheisen works at The Yard, a baseball and softball training facility. He said that enrolling in OJT has given him chances that were hard to find anywhere else.
“It helped me a lot by giving me the opportunity to grow in a real-world work environment,” Brecheisen said, “while also giving me the chance to succeed in school.”
Brecheisen said that he has learned skills that will help him with his plans to get his welding certifications and continue to coach baseball and softball.
“While working at the Yard, I get a little bit of every skill,” Brecheisen said. “I’ve learned customer service, I’ve helped coach camps and I’ve even learned some maintenance around the facility.”
Brecheisen said OJT is a great opportunity for students, as it allows them to get paid and get a class credit at the same time.
“Kids work so hard for good grades but do not see a reward for it until that diploma hits their hand,” Brecheisen said. “OJT lets them get paid and rewarded while also working towards graduation.”
Senior Madilynn Crough uses her OJT class period to leave school and work at Carlos O’Kelly’s.
“I enrolled in this class because I’ve always been a hard worker.” Crough said. “I work most of my day. This class gave me more time to make money instead of sitting in an elective class that I don’t need for the future.”
Crough said that leaving school and working has benefitted her in a number of ways, like learning skills that will help her in the real world.
“Carlos O’Kelly’s is all about working in a positive environment,” Crough said. “Everyone helps one another here and it’s very important to do your part so the whole crew can make good money.”
Time management and working well under pressure are also skills that Crough has learned at work.
“Being a server on a busy night really pushes you to do 15 million things at once,” Crough said. “We have a lot of different specials going on each day. Remembering specials and the whole menu is very important.”
Crough said that having working during the school day to work has improved her financial and mental wellness.
“Before having this class (OJT) it was really stressful trying to find time to fit work into my schedule,” Crough said. “Needing money to pay bills while going to school full time and sports was really hard on my mental health. This class helps me so much by letting me fit in work before practice.”
But, students don’t have to enroll in OJT to work during the school day. Senior Levi Losey flexes, meaning that he can leave school when he has no classes. Losey spends that time working on a farm.
“I would just say that I definitely did it to gain experience and also get money out of it,” Losey said. “So I think it’s a really good opportunity to not only be able to learn but also to make money, instead of sitting in the classroom and getting credits that I don’t necessarily need to graduate.”
Losey has worked on this farm for over a year, and he said he’s learning skills that he can better apply to his future.
“On a day this time of year, we’d just feed cattle,” Losey said. “Yesterday I was working on replacing parts for a swather. It’s just useful to have actual experiences going out into the workforce.”
Losey said working during school has allowed him to learn some important life lessons.
“I think it’s good to have more experiences, meet new people and learn what life will be like after high school,” Losey said. “They are important lessons to learn.”
Losey plans to attend Kansas State University and major in agricultural finance, so working on a farm has given him a head start.
“I’ve definitely had the opportunity to learn a lot on the job,” Losey said. “Just having that extra time during the school year to do that is a big help to grow and continue to learn.”
Losey said that flexing out for his last two hours has made school easier on him mentally.
“I feel like it increased how hard I’m willing to work,” Losey said, “because I know that I’m not stuck at school until 2:40.”
OJT coordinator Kelley Jones said that student job opportunities are endless.
“The program definitely impacts students in a positive way,” Jones said. “It allows them to venture out into the world of work in order to make money while at the same time getting a high school credit.”
There are many different ways to get ahead of your career and your schoolwork at the same time. OJT and FLEX programs are two options that students can consider their senior year.
“I’ve definitely had the opportunity to learn a lot on the job,” Losey said.“ Just having that extra time during the school year to do that is a big help to grow and continue to learn.”