What about the boys?

Jillian DeVoe, Pylon Online Editor

Over the summer the Kansas State High School Activities Association decided to add girls’ wrestling to the winter sports season. 

The association decided that this is necessary because of all the girls that are, or have been, interested in wrestling. The changes may not seem very transformation at first, because the adaptations will depend on the amount of interested girls. In the past, girls have been allowed to compete as part of the boys’ wrestling team, but this addition would allow female wrestlers to have more options and be viewed as legitimate contenders in the sport. They would treat the wrestling practices and tourneys like track meets (having the boys and girls practicing together, as well as competing in the same meets), and the teams would be under the direction of one coach. Adding a separate coach for the girls would depend on the amount of participants, and the first girls’ tournament will be on February 27, 2020. This addition is a huge step in the right direction for girls’ sports, but it is time for the KSHSAA to take a wider scope of the landscape of Kansas high school athletics and catch us up to speed with states around the country

Not many schools can say they have a high school boys’ volleyball team, however men’s volleyball is an Olympic sport. Having a high school team would help interested boys become acquainted with the sport. Volleyball, in my opinion is right in between football and soccer; football being a heavy contact sport, while soccer consists of a lot of running. Volleyball doesn’t necessarily require either of these aspects. 

Ultimately, it is empowering for all high school athletes that the KSHSAA officials are willing to make changes in order to accommodate the needs of athletes based on their desire to compete, and just like girls’ wrestling we should consider other sports options, like men’s volleyball. 

Making a boys’ volleyball team sounds like an easy solution to these problems, however, it goes deeper than that. We would need other teams for the boys to play, which would require other schools to take action too. In addition we would need boys confident enough to play a “girl sport” as well. Another potential problem could be supportive students/spectators. Just like any sport, athletes would require positive support and acceptance from those around them.

This means that all those potential volleyball boys need to do is advocate for themselves and work on their passes, sets, and spikes