CHS Pylon

Relay for Life

Emily Heart and Josiah Nelson, Writer and Editor

Relay For Life is a charity event among the community to fundraise for the American Cancer  Society. More than 5,000 events take place in over twenty countries annually. The Relay For Life of Saline County was held on Saturday, April 27th, 2019, at 4 P.M. The location of this local event was Salina Stadium, 650 E Crawford Street. The event was organized by Kim Peach.

Saline County area high school students helped set up the opening ceremony. One of these students was Salina Central senior,  Matthew Goldhamer, who said, “I enjoyed seeing the work I put into it and seeing the monetary donations. That number at the end is pretty satisfying.” Mr Goldhamer has been helping with Relay for Life for the last four years. He has been a team captain all four years and on the activities committee for three.  This past year he played the important role of “lead”. Another Central student, freshman Brielle Eland, said that “It means we are getting closer to a cure and helping people with their fight.” She started helping for the first time this year as a team captain.  

The Opening Ceremony

The opening ceremony is started by honoring everyone who has been affected by cancer, as well as everyone who contributed to the success of the 2019 Relay.

The Survivor and Caregiver Walk

This is to honor their courage and their strength during these events. No matter how long ago you were diagnosed, you are welcome to walk while the community gathers around to bring support.

The Luminaria Ceremony

During this time, candles are lit to represent those affected by cancer. Each light stands for a life, whether this was a life taken by cancer, a survivor, or somebody who is still fighting.

The closing ceremony

They celebrated what they have accomplished together, and discuss the work that needs to be done so they can move forward.

The next Relay For Life event in Saline County will be held on Saturday, June 1st, 2019, from 5:00 P.M. to 11 P.M. The location is tentatively planned to be held at Kansas Wesleyan University. Donating online is an option as well. For questions on the next event, you can contact Kim Peach at (512) 490-8711 or email her at kim.peach@cancer.org.