The Discipline Issue

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Discipline Issue

The Discipline Issue

Within the walls of Salina Central High School, a beast lurks through the halls. This monster is the wave of disrespect and lack of discipline within the student body at Salina Central. While the majority of students to behave and work hard in school, the disruptive minority remains prevalent and impactful on both students and staff alike.

Whether in the halls or in the classroom, many students lack even a basic level of respect for fellow students outside of their friend groups as well as their teachers and administrators. In our place of learning the inexcusable disrespect thrown towards faculty and students has left a stain on the reputation of the school. While this is likely a case of a few bad apples ruining the bunch, fighting, swearing at faculty, and disrespect between students has taken its toll. Freshman Brandon Phachanla and Lucas Nutter both pointed out that they see verbal and physical altercations between staff and students on a daily basis. According to Nutter, “There needs to be a figure of authority telling them (students) what they are doing wrong, and why it’s wrong.” Phachanla added that, “students need to learn to take school punishments as a way of learning, because without learning it’s just going to happen again.”

Both Students and teachers agree: discipline or the lack of its effectiveness appears to be a recurring issue in Salina Central. The question must be asked then: why has this become such a prevalent issue within our school this year? Teachers and students alike point towards a generational disconnect between the young students of Salina Central, their Upperclassmen, and the faculty. Senior Jeb Allen, whose full interview is attached, states that “I feel like disciplinary actions in society have become lax because we don’t want to make anyone mad or make anyone feel bad,” which offers another question: are we doing enough to keep or fellow members of society in check?

In order to combat this issue within our school, we must act together, not just the staff but students as well. In order to encourage the proper behavior that is desired within the building, we must not only perform well ourselves, but call out those who act out, in a constructive way. While one person doing this may not be enough, if all students and staff worked together towards fixing the discipline issue, the force behind those words would be undeniable.