Game Day Gambling

Back to Article
Back to Article

Game Day Gambling

Graeme Anderson

Graeme Anderson

Graeme Anderson

The NCAA tournament or March madness is an event that involves a series of basketball games in a 3 week time period ,but there is more to it then just simple basketball games nation wide GAMBLING! There has been gambling in the NCAA ever since it first started back in the 80’s and throughout the years gambling has become more accessible for everyone especially to younger people.

I have been watching (March Madness) for six or seven years.”

— Miraj Bhakta

The NCAA has become very popular to teenagers and a younger audience especially at central ,and sense the NCAA has always been surrounded by gambling the question comes up, are students at central gambling as well? The question if other people gamble is pretty obvious because of course other people outside of are schooling gambling is a pretty solid yes but like I said the question is do central students gamble. To find out if the students really do gamble we need to ask students and the staff of central themselves.

Out of everyone we interviewed they all said that gambling does happen with the NCAA which proves that gambling does happen within the NCAA but the begging question if students gamble is still at wonder. One of the students we interviewed was Miraj Bhakta we started the interview asking if he has ever been or hosted a party for the NCAA he responded with ¨Usually during the final four¨ I proceeded to ask more questions. The next one I asked was ¨have you ever seen gambling at these parties¨  he responded with a simple ¨yes¨. This solves the question if gambling happens around the students of central ,but just because it’s happened  to one doesn’t mean its happened to all there are also many other questions needing answered.

Senior Miraj Bhakta supporting the KU Jayhawks

Next we interviewed Harper Williams and he had responded with the same answers the only difference being that him and his friends would go to Buffalo Wild Wings because they have so many TVs. This confirmed that most students do get together to have parties. Now that we have solved the mystery of if students were around gambling then next big question is how much does one bet? For this we went to a staff to interview the person we decided to go to was Mrs. Paradis, an english teacher. In her interview most answers were the same except she never heard of anyone hosting parties for this event, but she did say that gambling was very much a thing for the NCAA. In the interview I asked her what was the usual amount to gamble for the NCAA and her response was ¨50-100 dollars.¨

In conclusion is that gambling is very popular in the NCAA with students usually hosting parties or getting together for these games. A lot of money is also put onto these games being 50-100 dollars on the line. But just because gambling happens at these parties doesn’t mean they always happens a majority of the time these parties are just a group of friends watching the games together.