CHS Pylon

Coming Out to the World

These ribbons were handed out at lunch.

These ribbons were handed out at lunch.

Starlet Parham

Starlet Parham

These ribbons were handed out at lunch.

Lexus King

GSA is known as the Gay-Straight Alliance club here at Central High. The students get to be apart of GSA without worrying about being judged in the club, however, we were given the the chance to hear some students coming-out stories and make them our story, but because of privacy, our sources names have been changed to Freshman Mitchell and Freshman Carly, but Freshman Damian Anderson is ready to let his story be known.

Damian:

“Right when I got to 6th grade I realized something was different about me. I liked boys and girls. I had a few transitions from 6-8th grade and came upon that I was gay. It felt like a thousand pounds on my shoulders I just had to do something about it. I became more open about it to some friends and family. Lost a few friends, my dad didn’t like it. Then word got out around the school. I was bullied, antagonized, and made fun of because of who I am. When I went out for cheer I was made fun of. I was called fag by many middle school boys and none of them wanted to talk to me. But that didn’t stop me from being proud of myself for coming out”.

“Be yourself and don’t let anyone put you back in the closet”.

Mitchell:

“I don’t really classify myself being in the LGBTQ+ community because that’s not what I call it. My entire life I just thought as myself as a straight kid, but then I started thinking about it and I was like “Whoa, I might not be”. I kinda put myself out there by telling people I wasn’t completely straight. People started knowing about it and I kinda felt more comfortable with it? I actually ended up dating a girl, but I’m not gonna get into that. I kinda only dated her because I felt bad for her, because I would of felt bad if I said no. And so I wouldn’t really count that as part of my experience or whatever, but I started thinking more about it in the past years and its kinda like I wouldn’t want to put a label on myself  because I would have to like a girl enough to actually consider myself attracted to that person. I kinda basically like who I like.  And so if I like a girl enough to date her, then that’s that”.

“I’m not ashamed, it’s just who I am”.

Carly:

“I joined GSA this year and I was super excited because I knew these were my people and they are all my friends and super friendly. I kinda realized last summer I didn’t really like guys as much because I don’t really like how they are in relationships. I feel they are kinda controlling, well I feel girls are a lot nicer and so that’s how I figured that out. In GSA there is so much support and we make a lot of new friends and learn new things about other people. I don’t know if my parents wouldn’t be supportive. It’s the not knowing that scared me. I hear my dad make jokes about gay people and stuff so i’m just very apprehensive about it. I don’t really like giving them things to judge me about. I have not had any relationships with the same sex but I do like this girl right now but yea. We flirt though. The first person I told was my best friend, which she’s also gay. When I realized I was gay I didn’t have an inspiration, but once I came out my inspiration was Freddie Mercury even though he is bisexual”.

“Be yourself no matter what other people say because in the end your gonna be the one to support yourself”.

Through this last week we have learned many things revolving around the LGBTQ+  community. This is all helping us to better understand them as an individual instead of a whole. With this journey we were able to get a sense of what they went through and go through now for being who they are.