CHS Pylon

Students, staff react to recent mass shooting, false alarms

Students protest gun laws in Washington D.C. after the Marjory Stoneman- Douglas shooting.

Lorie Shaull

Lorie Shaull

Cartoon by Avi Taylor

On February 14, 19-year-old and former Marjory Stoneman-Douglas High School student Nikolas Cruz opened fire on his former school classmates, killing 17 people, including adults and students, and injuring 16 others. The massacre made headlines, and is currently making a huge impact across our nation, after videos were posted on Snapchat of the shooting. 

The day following the shooting at Douglas High School there was an alarm malfunction during ELO at Central, which made many students and staff members anxious.

Principal Nate Showman, said the intercom was malfunctioning that morning, “It was an improper keying into the phone.”

Still many staff and students do not feel comfortable with the current chaotic and unorganized drills that have taken place recently.

“I’d say in the past, our drill would probably work, but now it’s almost ineffective because of the way the bad people are getting smarter,” said Sophomore José Arrieta-Rentería.

In response to the false alarms and insecurities Showman said the best thing to do is “Get to the safest place, whether it be in or out of the building. There will be an announcement if an intruder is identified, and the location of the intruder will be announced,” he continued. “Methods and drills have been outdated; we’re working on getting them updated and revamped and were working with law enforcement, we’re working with the district team,” said Showman.

Another alternative would be the “Alice” method, that basically means students and staff have a choice on what to do in that scenario. “I think students and teachers should be allowed to do whatever it takes to survive, as long as it is ethical and doesn’t put anyone else’s life at risk,” said sophomore Michael Ramirez.

There are cameras in the building, too, and according to Showman, “If you see a camera, they’re on.” The cameras could help administration in identifying any unknown or suspicious person in the building.

Recently walkouts and protests have multiplied across the country.

A planned nation-wide walk-out has been circulating through social media that involves people leaving school for 17 minutes, one minute for each of the Marjory Stoneman-Douglas shooting victims. 

Showman wants to assure students that he is “all for students being passionate and I am all for students taking up a cause… My hope is that the group would bring it to my attention so we could work out trying to find a way where we could accommodate it as a peaceful method that doesn’t disrupt or disturb the day.”

On social media, there is also a walkout proposed where students would leave for the whole day, but Showman said that “…it would be deemed as a cut.” He said that it would be “an easy excuse…” to skip school so the management side of things would make it very difficult.

Showman also want students and staff to know that “If you hear something that’s threatening or dangerous, who to go to and who to talk to…we have a resource officer in the building.”