Senator Moran visits school to see bond updates

Back to Article
Back to Article

Moran shares a joke with Ms. Hedberg the culinary teacher

Montana Mccullum

Montana Mccullum

Montana Mccullum

Katy Mccullum

Senator Jerry Moran came to visit Salina Central on Feb. 19 to check out new renovations and see what goes on at Salina Central on a day to day bases.

While students and staff gave Moran a tour he talked about the importance of CTE programs as in Photography, Arts, AV productions, Woods, and his personal favorite Welding. He talked about being college ready after high school  and how taking college credit classes in high school will benefit kids in college with cost.

“It was pretty crazy to see the senator walk into my room. I was excited to show off my classroom and broadcast studio to him. It was sort of itimidationg because he was surrounded by so many people, but I’m glad I got to meet him.” Said journalism teacher Shelby Dinkel.

Moran is apart of the appropriations committee in Washington D.C and specifically works with school funding and believes “We should focus more on specific programs as in CTE programs and special programs.” he continued to say “One of the things I want to see is how do we make certain that we don’t dictate to the local board of education to teachers what classes students have access to so we don’t keep you from the things you want to do.”

Moran likes to visit schools around Kansas to have a understanding on what is going on and seeing where school fundings are going to. While walking around Central he said he really enjoyed the changes he was seeing around the school and how much it has improved. He has been to every high school in Salina and says he likes all the changes he sees going on.